Breads, Pizza & Panini
White Bean Bruschetta
The creamy richness of the beans turns this light and healthy dish into a richly satisfying treat. Serve as an appetizer or portion two to a person with a green salad for lunch.
Serves: Make 24 bruschetta
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 1 baguette, cut on a slight diagonal into ½-inch slices
- 180ml plus 3 tbsp Filippo Berio Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 7 cloves garlic, 6 cloves very thinly sliced, 1 cut in half
- Kosher salt
- 1 400g can small white beans
- ½ tsp granulated garlic
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 mini sweet peppers, a mix of red and orange, or 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- Heat the grill to medium.
- Place the baguette slices on a baking tray with a rack and, using 3 tbsp of the oil, lightly coat both sides of each slice using a pastry brush. Rub the bread with the garlic halves, transfer to the oven, and toast until light golden brown on both sides, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Season lightly with salt and set aside.
- Put 120ml of the oil in a 1-quart saucepan and heat on low until the oil begins to shimmer. Add the sliced garlic and fry in batches, if necessary, until light golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Set aside.
- Combine the beans and their liquid, the remaining 60ml oil, 1/2 tsp salt, the granulated garlic, and red pepper flakes in another 2-quart saucepan and heat on low heat until warmed through.
- Put the peppers in a small bowl and toss to combine. Top the baguette slices with 1 tbsp of the bean mixture, pressing lightly into the bread. Garnish with the chopped peppers and a slice of the fried garlic, and serve.