Warm Black Olive Salad
This warming recipe is reminiscent of a Southern Italian summer's evening. Like a warm pepperonata, but the protagonist is the black olive which adds depth of flavour. The perfect salad to accompany rich baked ricotta and delightful served with warm ciabatta drizzled with Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil.
- 30ml /2 tbsp Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil
- 4 small baby leeks, trimmed and cut lengthways into long strips
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano, or 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 175g / 6oz pitted black olives, drained
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Balsamic Vinegar
- 200g /7oz baked ricotta cheese (see Cook’s Tip)
- 2 yellow peppers, deseeded and chargrilled
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Ciabatta bread
- Heat the Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil in a frying pan over a moderate heat.
- Add the leeks and herbs, and cook until they are golden brown and just soft.
- Add the olives, lemon juice and Filippo Berio Balsamic Vinegar to the pan and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Place the olives onto serving plates along with a wedge of baked ricotta and roasted peppers and season to taste.
- Serve with warm ciabatta bread.
Cooks tipsMix the ricotta cheese with 1 medium beaten egg and season well. Place in a greased oven-proof container just large enough for the mixture to fit into. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes, or until just firm to the touch, in a "bain-marie" (a roasting tin half-filled with water) at 180C/Fan 160C/ 350F/Gas Mark 4.