A vegetarian twist on a classic Greek dish of layered thinly sliced potato and aubergine. This recipe swaps the more typical béchamel for a quick egg, yoghurt and cheese sauce which is divine. This is a great sharing recipe for a family night in and beautiful served with salad.
- 450g potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 large aubergine
- 2 medium courgettes
- 6 tbsp Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil
- 2 medium red onions, thickly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- Generous pinch of sugar
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 100g feta cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 150ml Greek style yoghurt
- 25g Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Pre-heat the oven to 220ºC/425ºF/Gas Mark 7. Put the potatoes into a pan of boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Slice the aubergine and courgettes 5mm thick and place slices on a large roasting tray.
- Drain the potatoes, add to the tray and pour over 4 tbsp of the Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil, toss together and season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven and roast for 15 minutes. Add the sliced onions, turn the vegetables over and cook a further 10 minutes.
- While the vegetables are roasting, heat the remaining Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil in a medium frying pan, add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds. Then stir in the tomatoes, add the tomato purée, sugar and oregano and boil for 5 minutes, stirring until thick. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Take the roast vegetables from the oven and reduce the temperature to 190ºC/375ºF/Gas Mark 5. Transfer half of the vegetables to a 1.7 litre ovenproof dish, spoon over half of the tomato sauce, crumble over the feta cheese. Add the rest of the vegetables and tomato sauce.
- Mix the egg with the yoghurt and parmesan cheese, spoon over the top, then bake for 30-35 minutes until the top is golden. Stand for 4-5 minutes before serving with a crisp green salad.
Cooks tipsSuitable for vegetarians.