Although traditionally made with Parmesan cheese, the key ingredient in this vegan risotto is nutritional yeast to replicate the cheesy flavour. A delicious creamy risotto without the need of any dairy products! This recipe was created in collaboration with blogger EpiVegan. Check out Brett's website by clicking the logo below.
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 400g risotto rice
- 150ml vegan white wine
- 150g frozen peas
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil
- 5 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 courgette, thinly sliced
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- 1L vegetable stock
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil a large deep wok style pan and bring to a medium heat.
- Add the thinly sliced courgette and allow to cook for 5 minutes .
- Add in the shallots, garlic and lightly fry for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle over nutritional yeast.
- Add the rice to the pan and toast for 1 minute before adding in the wine.
- After allowing the wine to burn off for a minute or so add in the first ladle of vegetable stock. The trick is to keep the dish on high heat and stir regularly until the liquid is absorbed then add another ladle.
- Repeat this until the stock is all used.
- Add the tomatoes and put a lid on your pan to simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and squash your tomatoes with a fork and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with freshly cracked black pepper and roughly chopped fresh parsley