Vegan Melanzane “Parmigiana”
This Italian dish originated in the Southern regions of Campania and Sicily. It is made with a shallow or deep-fried sliced eggplant filling, layered with cheese and tomato sauce, then baked. We have substituted the cheese to make it Vegan! Recipe from Brett Cobley, for his website click on the image of him.
- 3 large aubergines
- Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 onion , peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 heaped teaspoon dried oregano
- 2x400 g good-quality tinned plum tomatoes
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio White Wine Vinegar
- 1 large handful fresh basil 70g
- 3 large handfuls vegan cheese freshly grated (Violife Prosociano)
- 3 handfuls dried breadcrumbs
- Fresh oregano 20g, leaves chopped
- 150g Sheese mozzarella
- Remove the stalks from the aubergines, slice them up into 0.5cm thick slices, and put to one side.
- Put 2 or 3 lugs of olive oil into a large pan on a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and dried oregano and cook for 10 minutes, until the onion is soft and the garlic has a tiny bit of colour.
- Add your tinned tomatoes to the onion, garlic and oregano. Give the mixture a good stir, then put a lid on the pan and simmer slowly for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grill the aubergines on both sides until lightly charred – you may have to do them in batches, as they probably won’t all fit into your griddle pan in one go. As each batch is finished, remove them to a tray and carry on grilling the rest until they’re all nicely done.
- When the tomato sauce is reduced and sweet, season it carefully with salt, pepper and a tiny swig of wine vinegar, and add the basil.
- Put a small layer of tomato sauce into your dish then a thin scattering of Parmesan style vegan cheese, followed by a single layer of aubergines. Repeat these layers until you’ve used all the ingredients up, finishing with a little sauce and another good sprinkling of Parmesan.
- Toss the breadcrumbs in olive oil with a little freshly chopped oregano and sprinkle them on top of the vegan Parmesan.
- Add all of the vegan mozzarella style cheese and Place the dish in the oven and bake at 190°C for half an hour until golden, crisp and bubbly.
Cooks tipsDrizzle Filippo Berio Chilli oil over the top to give it a kick.