Ultimate Carrot Cake
A tea-time classic recipe: our ultimate fruity and spicy carrot cake recipe with a twist. That's right, you guessed it... it's got Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil in it. This delicious traybake is simple and deliciously moist. Perfect with an afternoon cuppa!
- 200ml Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil
- 175g caster or soft light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g carrots, peeled and finely grated
- 1 x 227g can pineapple pieces, well drained and finely chopped
- 175g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Thick glace icing:
- 225g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4. Grease a 23cm square shallow tin and line with baking parchment.
- Put the Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla into a large bowl and beat well with an electric mixer until smooth. Stir in the grated carrots and pineapple.
- Sieve the remaining dry ingredients together then add to the bowl and fold everything together. Turn into the prepared tin and level.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until deep golden brown and a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Remove the lining paper.
- To make the icing, beat the icing sugar with the lemon juice until thick and smooth. Place small spoonfuls over the cake then carefully spread evenly over the cake with a palette knife dipped in hot water.
- Allow to set then cut into 16 portions before serving.
Cooks tipsA simple decoration idea: grate some orange zest onto your water icing for a pretty finish!