Tuscan Sausage & Fennel Ragu with Paccheri
Preparation time: 15
Cooking time: 30
- 120ml Filippo Berio extra virgin Olive Oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 500g Italian or good quality pork sausage
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 50ml red wine
- 400ml tomato passata
- 500g paccheri
- 4 tbsp grated Pecorino or Parmesan
- In a large deep sided frying pan, add the olive oil and warm on a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Remove the sausage meat from the casing and crumble into the onion and garlic. Cook for a further 5 minutes until the sausage meat is browned.
- Add the fennel, chilli and chopped rosemary. Stir for a minute, then add the wine and turn up the heat. Cook until the wine has completely evaporated.
- Add the pasatta, bring to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water for 8-10 minutes or until al dente. Drain and reserve a ladle of pasta water. Return to the pan.
- Add the ragu and the reserved pasta water to the pasta to loosen. Cook over a medium heat for a minute, stirring continuously.
- Serve with Pecorino or Parmesan and a drizzle of Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil.