Tuscan Bean Stew
A delicious mixture of vegetables, beans and barley. This stew is perfect for a hearty midweek meal.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 3 tbsp Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 200g celeriac, peeled and cut into 1.5 cm pieces
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 75g pearl barley, rinsed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomato purée
- 600ml vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 400g can borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
- 200g cavolo nero or curly kale, tough stems removed and roughly chopped
- Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- Crusty bread, for serving
- Heat the Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil in a large saucepan, add the garlic, leeks, celeriac, carrots and sprigs of rosemary and cook for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the pearl barley.
- Add the tomatoes, sun- dried tomato purée, stock and season well. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes, or until the pearl barley and vegetables are just tender.
- Stir the beans and cabbage, cover and cook for a further 5 minutes. Serve the stew in bowls, with a drizzle of Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil, with crusty bread to mop up the juices.