Tomato and Ricotta Torta Rustica
No traditional Italian picnic would be complete without a crowd-pleaser like Torta Rustica. This really is the perfect picnic companion. With a golden olive oil pastry crust, this Torta can include many different regional Italian fillings. In this fabulous recipe, the pastry case doesn’t need to be baked blind – even better!
For the olive oil pastry
- 350 g plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 150ml Filippo Berio Mild & Light in Colour Olive Oil
- 125ml cold water
For the Filling
- 500g ricotta
- 50g grated Grana Padano Cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 tbsp freshly shredded basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 300g cherry and baby plum tomatoes, halved
- Basil leaves, to garnish
- Place the flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl. Pour in the Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil and stir with a fork until a soft, ragged dough forms. Gradually add the water. Gather into a ball with your hands and knead gently on lightly floured surface for 5 minutes or until the dough is smooth and slightly elastic. Place in a sealable plastic bag and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180º C, Gas Mark 4. Place a baking tray in the oven. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface, so it is slightly larger than a 23cm flan tin and line the tin.
- In a bowl, stir together the ricotta, eggs, most of the cheese, basil and seasoning. Spoon into the pastry case and top with the tomatoes.
- Fold the excess pastry over and pleat, then sprinkle over the remaining Grana Padano cheese.
- Place on the baking sheet and cook for 1 hour or until the filling is set. Allow to cool completely, decorate with basil leaves.