Toasted Mozzarella and Tomato Sandwich
A toastie with an Italian twist! This recipe is so easy and tasty making it the perfect lunchtime comfort food. The oozy mozzarella is the glue of this panino with fresh tomato and Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Choose any bread you like- we love this with thick slices of sourdough!
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 4 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- A few basil leaves, shredded
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 thick slices of bread
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 150g mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Place the tomatoes on a plate and sprinkle over 2 tbsp of the Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil, vinegar and basil. Season well and set aside.
- Rub the garlic all over the slices of bread and then drizzle half the remaining Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil over one side of the bread slices. Cook on a pre-heated griddle pan for 2 minutes or until toasted.
- Place toasted side up on a board and top two slices with the tomatoes and sliced mozzarella cheese. Place the remaining bread, toasted side down, on the filling. Drizzle half the oil over and cook on the griddle for 2 minutes until toasted.
- Drizzle the remaining Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil on the untoasted side, turn over and cook for a further 2 minutes until the bread is golden brown and the cheese beginning to melt. Serve immediately.
Cooks tipsFor a luxurious addition, add some sliced avocado!