Marinades & Dressings
The Best Tomato Sauce
Il vero sugo di pomodoro, the true tomato sauce! This is an essential Italian recipe for your repertoire. If there is one dish that you should keep in your freezer, it is a good tomato sauce. Endlessly versatile and the base for countless famous Italian recipes such as 'Spaghetti al Pomodoro'. This sauce will last in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
- 4 tbsp Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 x 400g cans Cirio Chopped Tomatoes
- 12 basil leaves, torn
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat the Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil in a high-sided frying pan. Add the onion, celery and carrot and fry gently for 10 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and continue to cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the fresh torn basil and season with salt and black pepper.
- It can be served either as it is - chunky and rustic, or blended if you prefer a more refined, smooth sauce. Serve with freshly cooked spaghetti and Parmesan cheese.
Suitable for vegetarians.
Add ½ tsp of chilli flakes for a quick variation on an Arrabbiata sauce. Serve with penne and parsley.