Sweet & Sour Lamb Shanks
This is not the kind of sweet & sour you might instantly think of. Instead, this beautiful Italian recipe is a perfect juxtaposition of flavours- and the Filippo Berio Gran Cru Balsamic Vinegar with its sweet and sour notes is the perfect addition! As it is lamb, olive oil, garlic and rosemary are Italian essentials and combine well with the sweetness of honey and sour balsamic notes.
- 4 lamb shanks
- ½ tbsp salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 3 tbsps Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil
- 2 onions, cut in half and sliced into ¼ inch quarters
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary or 1 ½ teaspoons dried rosemary
- 2 large garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 tbsps of honey
- 3 tbsps Filippo Berio Gran Cru Balsamic Vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Season the lamb shanks with the salt and pepper.
- In a large heatproof casserole dish, heat 1½ tablespoons of the Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil over medium-high heat.
- Add half of the lamb and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, approximately 10 minutes. Repeat with the remaining 1½ tablespoons of oil and lamb.
- Remove the lamb and pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat. Add the onions and cover.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions soften, approximately 5 minutes.
- Uncover and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the rosemary and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the wine and stir, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the casserole.
- Return the lamb shanks to the casserole and cover tightly. Bake until the lamb is very tender, 1 hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours.
- Once ready, transfer the lamb to a deep serving platter and cover with aluminium foil to keep warm.
- Skim off any fat from the surface of the onions. Place the casserole over medium heat and add the honey.
- Cook, stirring often, until the cooking liquid is reduced and the onions are glazed, approximately 6 minutes.
- Stir in the Filippo Berio Gran Cru Balsamic Vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste. To serve, spoon the onions and juices over the lamb and serve immediately.