Breads, Pizza & Panini
Sundried Tomato Pesto & Peperonata Wraps
Peperonata consists of sliced, stewed peppers and is a dish that is made all over Italy. Try these tender and tasty peppers inside a piadina with melted mozarella for a tasty lunch!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 50 minutes
- 4 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 red peppers, cored, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 2 yellow peppers, cored, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 tbsp Fillipo Berio Sundried Tomato Pesto
- 125 g Mozzarella, cut into small pieces
- 4 piadina or tortilla wraps
- Heat the Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onions, garlic and bay leaves and fry gently for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the peppers then cover and cook gently for 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes and season well. Cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, for 25-30 minutes or until the mixture is thick. Remove the bay leaves and check the seasoning.
- Heat the wraps according to packet instructions, then spread each with 2 tablespoons of Fillipo Berio Sundried Tomato Pesto, scatter over the mozzarella, then spoon over the peperonata.
- Fold over one the bottom of the wrap, then loosely roll up the wrap. Serve immediately.
Any remaining peperonata can be served on top of bruschetta, with an extra drizzle of Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil.