Sue’s Calamari & Polenta chips
Suzanne's Italian style fish and chips is not a recipe to miss out on! Frying Calamari at home is easier than you may think. Serve it with a glass of chilled Pinot Grigio wine and enjoy!
- 200 g Calamari – cleaned and cut into portions
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 clove garlic crushed and added to buttermilk
- 2 litres Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil
- ¼ cup plain flour
- ¼ cup corn flour
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- Fresh Dill – chopped for garnish
- 50g ground polenta
- 200g hot water with vegetable stock
- 1 lemon – zested
- Salt and Pepper
- 50g frozen garden peas
- Place calamari into buttermilk and garlic and leave for 1 hour.
- Mix all dry seasoning together and place in bowl.
- Drain Calamari through a sieve.
- Drop the Calamari into the flour seasoning and fully coat.
- Heat the Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil to 170 degrees
- Cook Calamari in Oil for 3 – 4 minutes or until golden brown.
- For the Polenta chips: Bring water to the boil.
- Add zest of 1 lemon. Add the peas and stir in.
- Rain in Polenta and stir for 3 – 5 minutes until thick and cooked out. Then season.
- Lay on tray lined with parchment and allow to cool in fridge for an hour/
- When cooled and set, cut into chip size pieces and fry in the Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil.
- Place on plate to serve and cut zested lemon and scatter with chopped fresh Dill.