Strawberry Yogurt Cake with Olive Oil
This beautiful light and moist strawberry flavoured olive oil cake is the perfect bake for Valentine’s Day or for afternoon tea! Made with our Mild & Light Olive Oil instead of butter for a subtle flavour with less saturated fat. Delicious on its own or serve with vanilla ice cream and extra fresh strawberries to really indulge. This recipe was shared by 'Ink Sugar Spice' blog.
- 4 large eggs
- 210g caster sugar
- 210ml Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil
- 210g 00 flour or plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 40g ground almonds
- 80g strawberry yoghurt
- 80g fresh strawberries
- A pinch of fine salt
- Prepare a springform cake tin (20-23cm in diameter) by greasing and lining with baking parchment paper.
- Preheart your oven to to 180ºC fan/ 200 ºC conventional.
- Separate the eggs into yolks and whites, putting the whites in one (very clean) bowl and the yolks in another.
- Whisk up the egg whites until they are stiff peaks then whisk in one tablespoon of the caster sugar and the vanilla extract.
- Add the remaining caster sugar to the yolks and whisk until it turns pale and increases in volume.
- Add the flour, ground almonds, salt and baking powder to the sugar/yolk mixture and slowly whisk in until it is all combined.
- Fold in the whites to this mixture, a third at a time until it is combined. Try to be gentle while mixing in – a figure of eight motion is useful or use a balloon whisk to ‘cut’ the whites in gently.
- Fold in the olive oil.
- Pour the mix gently into the prepared tin.
- Chop up the strawberries and measure out the yogurt.
- Using a teaspoon, dot the yogurt all over the cake – try to keep the blobs of yogurt fairly small.
- Place the strawberries over the yogurt .
- Bake for 40 – 45 minutes until the sponge springs back when depressed lightly with your finger and/or a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake (though be careful to notice that you’ve not spiked the yogurt and think the cake is still underdone.