This delicious baked jam tart one of Italy’s most popular desserts and it’s easy to see why. The sweet pastry or “pasta frolla” is quick and easy to make, replacing butter with olive oil saves time on preparation and creates a delicious soft pastry.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
- 100ml Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus extra for greasing
- 350g plain flour
- 150g caster sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp Marsala wine
- 390g strawberry jam
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Brush a 23 cm loose- bottomed fluted tart tin with a little Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Preheat the oven to 180C, Gas Mark 4. Place a baking tray in the oven.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar and baking powder. Whisk together the Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil, eggs and Marsala wine in a jug.
- Pour over the flour mixture in the bowl, then add the lemon zest. Mix using a wooden spoon until just combined then, using your hands, bring the pastry together. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 15 minutes.
- Set aside a third of the pastry for the topping. Gather the rest in a ball and place on a lightly floured work surface. Roll out to a circle about the thickness of a pound coin, then use to line the tin, trimming the edges.
- Prick the base with a fork and spread the jam in an even layer on the pastry shell.
- Roll out the reserved pastry, again, to about the thickness of a pound coin. Using a sharp knife, cut about 8 long strips of pastry, about 2 cm wide, then lace them on top of the jam, to form a lattice. Trim the edges.
- Place the tart on the preheated baking tray and cook for about 30-35 minutes. Keep an eye on it and cover the edges with foil if it starts to brown too quickly.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely in the tin. When cool dust with icing sugar.