Strawberry and Balsamic Vinegar Cake
A classic combination of strawberry and Filippo Berio Balsamic Vinegar in this mouth-watering recipe. Tart and sweet notes come together in this buttery sponge as the caramelised balsamic flavour brings out the best of the strawberries. A perfect after dinner treat for any occasion and retro in style served as a classic upside-down cake with a twist.
- 400g strawberries, sliced in half
- 100g brown sugar
- 120ml Filippo Berio Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 225g caster sugar
- 120ml buttermilk
- 50ml Filippo Berio Gran Cru Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 eggs
- 220g flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 120ml Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil, plus extra for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 160C/350F/gas mark 3. Brush a 20cm cake tin with Filippo Berio Classico Olive Pil and line the base with baking paper.
- Arrange the strawberries in a fan on the base of the tin, making sure to fully cover the bottom of the tin.
- In a pan, add the brown sugar, Filippo Berio Balsamic Vinegar, Classico Olive Oil and honey. Slowly bring the mixture to the boil, whisking continuously. Continue to stir until the mixture turns thick and sticky. Remove from heat and carefully pour over the arranged strawberries.
- To make the cake, in a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, buttermilk, Filippo Berio Balsamic Vinegar and eggs until fully combined. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk together to a smooth batter.
- Add the Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil gradually, stirring continuously then slowly pour the batter over the strawberries.
- Bake in the oven for 50-60 mins or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the centre of the cake.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, run a knife around the cake to loosen from the tin and then cover the tin with a plate. Flip over and remove the tin and serve with mascarpone cream or vanilla ice cream
Cooks tipsDust with icing sugar to serve once cooled.