Strawberries and Cream Sponge
Victoria Sponge, the Queen of the Afternoon Tea, but made masterfully with Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil. A favourite baking companion of ours, using olive oil as an alternative fat to butter creates a fluffy and light sponge with less saturated fat! This recipe is simple to make and becomes decadent with the mere addition of strawberries and Chantilly cream- a Tea Party essential!
- 5 large eggs
- 150g caster sugar
- A few drops vanilla essence
- 150g plain flour, sifted
- 100ml Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil
- 200ml double cream
- 200g strawberries, halved
- Icing sugar, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/350˚F/Gas Mark 4. Oil and baseline two 20cm round sandwich tins. Use an electric whisk to whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla together in a large bowl until they are thick enough to leave a trail on the surface when the whisk is lifted.
- Gently fold in half the flour with a metal spoon, then half the Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil. Repeat this process working very lightly. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
- . Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden and springy to the touch. Cool for 10 minutes, remove tins and then transfer to a wire rack and leave until cold.
- To decorate, whip the cream until it forms soft peaks and add icing sugar to make the chantilly- taste as you go so as not to make it too sweet. Cut the cake in half and sandwich together with the slathered cream and arranged strawberries. Dust with icing sugar and serve.