Stracciatella Olive Oil Ice Cream
Stracciatella, translates into “rags” or “shards,” which is made by drizzling melted chocolate into the ice cream. The chocolate solidifies on contact with the churning ice cream turning into flakes of chocolate. For a stronger olive oil taste try making with Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 2-3 hours chilling and freezing time
- 2 x 400 ml cans coconut milk
- 50g caster sugar
- 2 vanilla pods, split in half lengthways
- 150ml Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil
- 100g dark vegan chocolate
- 1 tbsp Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil
- Place the coconut milk in a medium pan, scrape the seeds from the vanilla pods, then place the seeds and pods in the milk, with the sugar. Bring to simmering point, over a low heat, whisking until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil, whisking continuously for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly and infuse for 15 minutes, then remove the pods.
- Whisk in the Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil until well mixed.
- Pour into a bowl, cover with cling film and chill for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Churn the ice cream in an ice cream machine for 20-30 minutes, until soft serve. Whilst the ice cream is churning, melt the chocolate and Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil in a small pan over a low heat. Transfer to a disposable piping bag.
- Cut the bottom of the piping bag. Slowly drizzle most of the chocolate into the churning ice cream. Transfer to a freezeproof container, drizzling the remaining chocolate over the top and freeze until ready to serve.
- Remove from the freezer 5-10 minutes before serving. Serve scoops of the ice cream in bowls.