Steak with Pizzaiolo Sauce
This classic sauce from Naples is named after a typical pizza sauce- olive oil, garlic, oregano and tomatoes and is every bit as delicious! Allow the steak to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking. We suggest serving with a green salad and patate al forno!
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
- 4 x 350g sirloin or ribeye steak
For the sauce:
- 4 tbsp Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely diced.
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- Pinch of dried oregano
- ¾ bottle Cirio Rustic Passata
- 6 large basil leaves, torn
- Heat 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil in a deep-sided frying pan. Add the onions and cook for 10 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and oregano and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Pour in the tomatoes and cook for a further 15 minutes. Stir in the basil leaves.
- When ready to serve, heat a griddle or large frying pan until hot. Rub each steak with the remaining Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil and season with black pepper.
- Cook approximately 3 minutes on each side for rare, 5 minutes each side for medium and 7 on each side for well done. When the steak is cooked to your liking, remove and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Cut into thick slices and pour over the sauce and serve with a green salad.