Steak alla Puttanesca
This punchy sauce recipe makes a wonderful accompaniment to griddled or barbecued steak. The sauce closely resembles the infamous pasta sauce featuring key Southern Italian ingredients. Choose your favourite cut of steak and enjoy with this Umami-filled Italian sauce, made salty with anchovies and capers and sweet with tomatoes and sugar. Contrasting flavours beautifully balanced with Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil- simply delicious!
- 4 steaks, sirloin or rib-eye (about 175g each)
- Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Italian Barbecue Sauce
- 50ml Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Pinch of dried chilli flakes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp capers, rinsed and drained
- 500ml passata
- 2 anchovy fillets, chopped
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- To make the sauce, gently warm the Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a pan, add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes, season with black pepper.
- Bring steaks to room temperature then brush both sides with Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil. Place over a hot barbecue to sear for 1 minute on both sides then move to a medium heat on the barbecue and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for a further 2-3 minutes for rare, 4-5 minutes for medium and 6-8 minutes for well done.
- Transfer to plates and spoon over the sauce.