Spring Vegetable Pistou Soup
This flavoursome soup is a festival of vibrant spring vegetables, made even more delicious with a dollop of garlicky, herby pistou. Pistou is similar to traditional Ligurian pesto, however there is no pine nuts and it’s originally made without cheese. There is an option to add vegan Mediterranean style cheese in this pistou.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 300g baby new potatoes, halved or quartered
- 350g baby carrots, quartered
- 200g baby courgettes, quartered
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 150g fresh garden peas
- 150g broad beans, skins removed
- 4 cloves garlic
- 30 fresh basil leaves
- 120ml Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 50g finely grated vegan Mediterranean style cheese, optional
- Heat the Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil, in a large saucepan and cook the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes, until softened. Pour over the stock, bring to the boil and add the potatoes. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots, courgette and tomatoes, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the peas and broad beans and cook for 4-5 minutes, until tender. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile make the pistou: place the garlic and basil in a food processor and blend to a paste, gradually add the Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Season to taste and stir in the vegan cheese, if using.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve each with a spoonful of the pistou and crusty bread.