Spinach Risotto, or Risotto agli Spinaci, is a classic risotto recipe often served as a starter, or primo piatto. Filled with comforting flavours of vegetable stock, wine and garlic and subtly spiced nutmeg to compliment the spinach perfectly, this dish is worthy of a main course. Suitable for vegetarians and made silky with Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil- this recipe is one to warm the heart.
- 350g fresh spinach, washed well
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil
- 350g risotto rice
- 120ml dry white wine
- 1.2 litres hot vegetable stock
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 75g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Drain the washed spinach well, remove any tough stalks and chop, set aside.
- Heat the Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil in a large heavy saucepan then add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes over a medium heat until the onion has softened.
- Add the garlic and risotto rice and cook, stirring until all of the rice is coated in the Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil. Add the wine and boil for 1 minute.
- Begin to add the hot stock, a ladleful at a time. Continue to stir until most of the liquid is absorbed then add further stock in this way.
- After 15 minutes when the rice is almost cooked, and all of the stock has been added, add the spinach. Stir over the heat until wilted. The consistency of the risotto should be creamy and the rice just tender.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the nutmeg and season if needed.
- Stir in the cheese, then cover the pan and allow to stand for 2 minutes before serving in warm shallow bowls.
Cooks tipsSuitable for vegetarians.