Spicy Sausages with Cavolo Nero
Cavolo nero is an Italian variety of kale, sometimes known as black cabbage. Avoid the stalks, only use the leaves. Alternatively, you can substitute cavolo nero for kale or cabbage. Sofrito is an aromatic mix of finely chopped celery, onion and carrot and, with olive oil, forms the base of many delicious meals. It's now sold widely in supermarkets - both fresh and frozen - or you can make your own.
- 3 tbsp Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil
- 300g sofrito (mix of celery, carrot and onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 8 spicy sausages
- 250g puy lentils, ready cooked
- 100ml red wine
- 200g cavolo nero, stalks removed, leaves branched
- Filippo Berio Extra Olive Oil to drizzle
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the sofrito, garlic and sausages in a roasting tin and stir through the Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil until well coated. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Stir in the lentils along with the red wine and cavolo nero, then return to the oven for a futher 5 minutes until piping hot.
- Serve seasoned to taste and drizzled with Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Cooks tipsUse vegan sausages to make this recipe vegan.