This spicy peperonata is our take on a rustic Southern Italian dish that is incredibly versatile. The Italian South is filled with sweet bell peppers during the summer, and what better way to celebrate such produce than in a flavoursome peperonata with a hint of chilli heat. Serve as a summer antipasto or as a side to meat or fish.
- 4 tbsp Filippo Berio Chilli Flavoured Extra Virgin Olive Oil + extra to finish
- 2 red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 red peppers, core removed and thinly sliced
- 2 yellow peppers, core removed and thinly sliced
- 400g can Cirio Tomato Fillets
- Heat the 1 tbsp Filippo Berio Chilli Flavoured Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic and bay leaves and cook gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the peppers to the pan and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the tomatoes and cook uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with a generous helping of Chilli Flavoured Olive Oil.
Cooks tipsSuitable for vegetarians.