Marinades & Dressings
Speedy Tomato Sauce
Sugo di Pomodoro, an Italian staple recipe to serve with pasta, meat and fish. Perhaps the most versatile sauce that can be turned into an Arrabbiata sauce or put into a Melanzane alla Parmigiana- the possibilities are endless. Use this quick recipe for a tomato fix or make in batches to save!
Preparation time: 8 mins
Cooking time: 12 mins
- 675g firm ripe tomatoes, skinned and deseeded
- 6 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1-2 tbsp basil, shredded evenly
- Salt, to taste
- Cut the tomatoes into thin, even strips. Put them into a non-metallic bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Leave to marinate for 3-4 hours.
- When you are ready to cook, gently simmer your tomato sauce in a pan on a medium heat.
- Use as a sauce for your favourite cooked pasta such as spaghetti or tagliatelle. Carefully stir in the sauce and serve at once.
Suitable for vegetarians.
If time is not on your side, use a can of drained tomato fillets instead of the fresh tomatoes.