Spaghetti with Tuna Balls
“Polpette di Tonno” is a typical Sicilian dish and would traditionally be made with fresh tuna. Inspired by the original this light, zesty recipe uses good quality tinned tuna for speed and convenience.
- 2 x 200g tinned tuna drained
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 50g pine nuts, toasted
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 80g fresh breadcrumbs
- 20g parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 large free range egg, beaten
- 375g spaghetti
- 3 tbsp Filippo Berio Olive Oil
- ½ quantity of tomato sauce
- Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil for drizzling
MethodFlake the tuna into a large bowl and mix in the chilli flakes, garlic, pine nuts, lemon zest, parsley, breadcrumbs and egg. Season with salt and fresh black pepper.
Wet your hands and roll the tuna mixture into walnut size balls. Place onto a large tray and allow to chill for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat up a large pan of boiling water and cook the pasta according to packet instructions.
Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Cook the tuna balls for 5-7 minutes, turning occasionally until golden. Heat up the tomato sauce and add to the pasta. Top with the tuna balls. Serve immediately with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.