Spaghetti with Asparagus and Peas
This recipe uses some of the leftover pasta cooking water, lemon juice, garlic and chilli to create a refreshing, citrusy sauce, which pairs perfectly with the asparagus and peas. Long, thin dried pasta, such as spaghetti compliment simple olive oil-based sauces best, as they coat each pasta strand evenly without drowning it. Ideal for getting a tasty and nutritious dinner on the table in under 20 minutes!
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 200g dried spaghetti
- 100g fresh or frozen peas
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil
- 150g asparagus tips
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 small red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 25g pine nuts
- Finely grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive oil, for drizzling
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions, adding the peas for the last 2 minutes. Drain and reserve 50 ml of the cooking water.
- Meanwhile, heat the Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil in a large frying pan, add the asparagus tips and cook over a gentle heat for about 3–4 minutes until they start to soften. Add the garlic and chilli and cook for a few seconds. Stir in the pine nuts and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the drained pasta and peas to the pan and toss well. Then add the lemon zest and juice, the reserved cooking liquid, a pinch of salt and a good grind of black pepper.
- Serve in bowls and drizzle with Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil.