- 4 tbsp Filippo Berio Olive Oil
- 2 red onions, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 750g aubergines, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 x 400g can Cirio Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp fresh basil
- 100g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 300g courgettes, thinly sliced using a vegetable peeler
- 2 x 100g balls mozzarella cheese, roughly torn
- Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil for drizzling
MethodPreheat the oven to 180ºC (fan assisted)/ 375ºF/Gas Mark 4.
Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan and add the onion, garlic and half of the oregano.
Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
Add the remaining olive oil and turn the heat up high.
Add the aubergine and cook for a further 3 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and vinegar and simmer for 2 minutes.
Stir in the basil and half of the Parmesan.
Spread the mixture on the bottom of a gratin dish.
Dot with the mozzarella and top with the courgette ribbons. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.
Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and cook for 15 minutes in the oven.
Cooks tipsSuitable for vegetarians.
For a Sicilian style twist... add finely sliced celery stalks, some pine nuts and raisins along with the aubergines and cook as per recipe.
For something a little more hearty... replace half of the mozzarella with gorgonzola cheese and sprinkle with toasted walnut pieces and fried sage. This would work particularly well with roasted pork.