A lovely Italian word which literally means “fried”, soffritto is a budget-friendly vegetable base that is the cornerstone of most Italian sauces or soups. Cook up a batch and you can store it in an airtight container, with a little extra olive oil for around 3 days. It’s the perfect solution for when you’re in need of a quick fix for instant flavour. Simply add it to an omelette, pasta sauce or slow cooked ragu. The possibilities are endless!
- 4 tbsp Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Add the olive oil to a heavy based saucepan and bring to a medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrot and fry gently for 10 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook for a further 2 minutes, taste and season as required
Cooks tipsAdd 2 tins of chopped tomatoes and simmer for 15 minutes for a quick and versatile tomato pasta sauce.