Brisket lends itself perfectly to long slow cooking as it creates deliciously tender shredded meat in a rich, comforting sauce. How you serve it is up to you as it's so versatile. Pair with potatoes and vegetables, pasta or simply piled into a soft fluffy bap with salad or coleslaw, the choice is yours.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 4 hours 30 minutes
- 4 tbsp Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil
- 1.2kg beef brisket
- 250g sofrito (mix of celery, carrot and onion)
- 75g pancetta
- 15g porcini mushrooms, soaked in 150ml boiling water
- 1 bouquet garni and thyme sprigs to finish
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 200ml red wine
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Heat the oil in a large heavy based ovenproof pan with a well-fitting lid and cook the sofrito until softened. Stir in the pancetta and cook for a further 5 minutes, until starting to brown.
- Push the vegetables and pancetta to the sides of the pan and then add the beef. Brown the beef on all sides before adding the porcini and the soaking liquid.
- Add the bouquet garni, tomatoes and red wine to the pan.
- Cover and place in the preheated oven and cook for 4 hours.
- Remove the brisket from the pan and shred. Remove the bouquet garni before mixing the shredded meat with the pan sauce. Serve sprinkled with fresh thyme.