Sloes are the fruit of the blackthorn. These purply- blue berries can be picked from the English hedgerows from October to December. The berries are ripe when they squash easily between your fingers. You will need two thoroughly cleaned Filippo Berio Rustico Extra Virgin Olive Oil bottles for this.
- 1 Litre of good quality gin
- 500 g sloe berries, fresh or frozen
- 250 g caster sugar
- Freeze the fresh sloes overnight, this saves you having to prick them all individually.
- Place the frozen sloes, sugar and gin in a clean, sterilized 2 litre kilner jar and seal.
- Place the jar in a dark place and shake daily for about 1 week until the sugar has dissolved. Then about once a week for 2-3 months.
- Strain the gin, through some muslin, to remove the sloes, then pour through a funnel into the bottles and seal.
- The gin is delicious served chilled on its own or use in cocktails.