Sicilian Pesto (with almonds and tomatoes)
Pesto alla Trapanese is a typical recipe of western Sicily. Unlike the classic pesto from Liguria, this is made with almonds, fresh tomatoes, basil, garlic and Pecorino cheese. It is great served hot or cold! Recipe by health Nutritionist, Linda Vezzoli.
- 100ml Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 40g blanched almonds without the skin
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and halved
- 200g chopped tomatoes
- Sea salt - to taste
- 50g Parmesan or pecorino cheese, grated
- 80g fresh basil, washed and chopped
- Place all ingredients except the olive oil in a food processor and pulse until blended.
- Be careful not to blend too vigorously as you don’t want the basil to be heated up by the warm blades of the food processor. Once blended smoothly, add the olive oil slowly until you have a smooth pesto.