Sesame Seed and Almond Biscuits
These traditional Italian biscuits are light and delicious and can be enjoyed perfectly with an espresso!
- 100ml Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil
- 5cm strip lemon rind
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 4 tbsp dry white wine
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 100g caster sugar
- 200g plain flour
- 40g ground almonds
- Beaten egg white
- Pine nuts to glaze
- Icing sugar to dust
- Place the olive oil, lemon rind and sesame seeds in a small saucepan and heat for 1-2 minutes until hot. Remove from the heat and leave to cool. Discard the lemon rind.
- Pour the oil and sesame seeds into a large mixing bowl. Add the wine, grated lemon zest and sugar and mix together. Slowly add the flour and ground almonds, stirring between each addition. Gather the dough into a bowl and knead until smooth.
- Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4. Roll out onto a floured surface and using a 7.5cm fluted cutter, stamp out the biscuits.
- Place on greased baking sheets, brush the tops with egg white and scatter over pine nuts. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Dust with icing sugar.