Sauteed Cavolo Nero with Chilli and Garlic
Cavolo Nero con Peperoncino e Aglio - Served at our Founder's Birthday Celebration. Recipe Courtesy of Giancarlo & Katie Caldesi
Categories: Sides & Salads
- 1 head of Cavolo Nero (black kale)
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and lightly crushed
- ½ to 1 red chilli, roughly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pull the green parts away from the hard stalks of the kale and wash them under cold water.
- Finely shred the leaves and put them in a steamer or salted boiling water for 5-7 minutes until just cooked.
- Drain but reserve a few tablespoons of the cooking water.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, when hot add the garlic, chilli, salt and pepper.
- Fry for a couple of minutes until they soften but watch they don't burn.
- Add the cooked kale and fry for around 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- If necessary, add a little cooking water to stop it from sticking.
- The kale should have wilted and become coated in the chilli and garlic oil.
Cooks tipsSuitable for vegetarians.
This works equally well with spinach. Baby spinach can be ‘wilted’ or fried only and doesn’t need pre-boiling.