The aromatic bulb we know as fennel is popular in Italian cuisine, both raw and cooked. A simple side
dish packed with complex flavours, this roasted fennel enlivened with the decadent taste of parmesan and the kick of chilli is an experience to savour.
Categories: Sides & Salads
- 3-4 fennel bulbs, outer leaves removed and fronds reserved
- 3tbsp Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 1tsp dried chilli flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 30g freshly grated parmesan
- 15g dried breadcrumbs
- 2tbsp flat-leaf parsley, freshly chopped
- Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5. Quarter the fennel bulbs, keeping them intact at the base. Place in a large bowl and toss with the Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil, garlic, fennel seeds, chilli flakes and seasoning. Put into a large gratin dish or roasting tin and cover tightly with foil.
- In a small bowl mix together, the parmesan and breadcrumbs. Roughly chop the fronds.
- Roast for about 30-35 minutes, the undersides should be golden. Remove the foil, sprinkle over the reserved fennel fronds and the breadcrumb mixture and return to the oven. Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the fennel is tender and the topping is golden.
- Sprinkle over the chopped parsley and serve immediately, drizzle with Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil.