Breads, Pizza & Panini
Roasted Beets and Buffalo Mozzarella
Bruschetta is a classic Italian antipasto made with grilled bread that is rubbed with garlic and topped with olive oil and salt. The dish can be traced back to ancient Rome, where olive farmers brought their crop to the local olive press and sampled their freshly pressed olive oil on slices of bread. This is such a versatile dish, making it a fun and imaginative way to get creative with toppings. One of the freshest and most flavoursome being roasted beets and Buffalo Mozzarella, which we show you how to make here.
Cooking time: 60 minutes
- 500g beetroot, washed, ends trimmed and cut into small wedges.
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled and lightly crushed
- Few sprigs of thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 125g ball buffalo mozzarella
- Handful of rocket leaves
- 3 tbsps water
For the bruschetta:
- Sliced ciabatta or sour dough bread, 2.5 cm thick
- Garlic cloves, peeled
- Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- For the Bruschetta: Toast the bread, on both sides, preferably in a griddle pan or under a preheated grill, you can even pop them on a BBQ.
- Rub the garlic into the hot bread. Drizzle with Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil and serve with the following toppings.
- For the topping: Preheat the oven to 190 ºC, Gas Mark 5. Place the beetroot wedges in a roasting dish and add the garlic cloves. Drizzle over the Filippo Berio Classico Olive Oil and 3tbsps of water. Season with salt and pepper and add the thyme. Cover tightly with foil and roast for about 40-60 mins until completely tender. Discard the garlic and herbs.
- Transfer the wedges to a bowl. Drain off the roasting juices into a small pan; if very reduced, add a splash of water to the dish first and stir to deglaze. Add the Filippo Berio Balsamic Vinegar to the pan and bring to the boil. Simmer until reduced by about half. Pour this syrup over the beetroot and leave to cool in the dressing, turning occasionally. Season to taste.
- Tear the mozzarella, place on the bruschetta. Spoon over the beetroot and some of the juice, garnish with rocket.