Roast Beef with Mostarda Cremonese
An Italian twist on the traditional English Roast Beef. The trick to this dish is cooking the meat at a high temperature so the salt flavours the outside of the beef but without being overpowering. The crust also helps to keep the moisture in, keeping the meat tender and juicy. The Mostarda is made from candied fruits preserved in a sweet mustardy syrup and is the perfect accompaniment to roast beef. This recipe was shared by Just So Italian.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 1.25kg topside of beef
- 1 kg coarse rock salt
- 200g Mostarda Cremonese including some syrup
- 4 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 200g rocket salad
- Preheat the oven to 230°C/gas mark 8.
- Put a thick layer of rock salt on the bottom of a roasting tin, about the size of the bottom of the roast. Put the beef on the salt and press down.
- Cover top of the beef with the remaining rock salt. Pack any of the salt that falls off onto the sides.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 45-60 minutes, depending on how pink you like it in the middle. Take it out and let it stand for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime put the Mostarda Cremonese into a food processor along with the olive oil and blend until finely chopped.
- Remove the salt crust from the beef and put the beef onto a chopping board. Slice it as thinly as you can and lay the slices onto a serving platter.
- Scatter the rocket onto the meat and finish off with the Mostarda dressing and Filippo Berio 100% Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil.