Risoni with a Vegetable & Sausage Ragu
This wonderfully warming supper is typical of southern Italian cuisine and the ''cucina povera''. Literally meaning 'poor kitchen', this term refers to the art of making fabulously tasty food from the simple ingredients available.
- 4 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 500ml Cirio Rustic Passata
- ½ tbsp Cirio SuperCirio Tomato Purée
- 6 Italian style sausages
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and cut into small dice
- 1 small courgette, cut into small dice
- 1 aubergine, cut into small dice
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- 475g risoni or any other small pasta
- Heat 2 tbsp of the olive oil in a large sauté pan over a medium to high heat. Add the sausages and cook for 5 minutes until brown all over.
- Transfer to a plate. Add the remaining oil to the pan together with the onion, pepper, courgette, aubergine, chilli flakes and season with salt and black pepper.
- Cook over a medium heat for 5-6 minutes until the vegetables are cooked and lightly brown. If the mixture starts to dry out, add a little hot water.
- Add the passata and tomato purée. Bring the sauce to a simmer, reduce the heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- Return the sausages to the pan and cook for a further 10 minutes. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Cook the risoni according to packet instructions.
- Drain the pasta, reserving a ladle of the water. Mix the pasta sauce with the pasta and a little of the reserved pasta water to loosen the sauce. Serve immediately.
Cooks tipsIf you can't find Italian style sausages simply use good quality pork sausages and add 1 tsp of fennel seeds instead.