Riso e Fagioli
This traditional Italian soup is the perfect hearty meal for a cold winters night.
- 6 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 1.2 litres vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 400g can borlotti beans, rinsed & drained
- 115g Arborio rice
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- Heat 4 tbsp of Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a large pan, add all the chopped vegetables and cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes to soften.
- Pour in the stock, add tomato puree and half of the beans, bring to simmer and cook for 2 minutes, then add the Arborio rice.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Mash the remaining beans, then add to the soup, season with salt and pepper if needed and stir well until hot.
- Add parsley, then serve each portion with a drizzle of the remaining Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Serve immediately, as this soup becomes very thick if left to stand.