EpiVegan’s Red Pesto Pasta Bake
The homemade red pesto used in this recipe is simple to make and perfect for a wide variety of different dishes. In this recipe it's used to make a creamy pasta bake with a delicious nutty flavour. Although pasta shells are used in this recipe, it’s works with any pasta of your choice. This recipe was kindly shared by food blogger EpiVegan for our vegan meal plan. Click the logo below to check out Brett's website!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
For Red Pesto:
- ½ bunch of fresh oregano, roughly chopped
- ½ bunch of fresh basil, roughly chopped
- ½ cup of pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 roasted red pepper (jarred or fresh)
- 2 tbsp sundried tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
For Pasta Bake:
- 4 cups Pasta shells
- 1 cup of spinach
- 1 ciabatta roll
- 1 cup vegan cheese
- 2 cups cashew milk
- 5 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Part cook the pasta in boiling water for 8 minutes.
- While this is cooking, make the red pesto. Add roughly chopped basil and oregano to a pestle and mortar and bash the leaves down until darker and moist. Alternatively you can use a hand blender to make the pesto.
- Add the pine nuts and garlic to the pestle and mortar and bash and grind until a dense paste.
- Add the salt, pepper and nutritional yeast and grind together with the mixture.
- Add the finely chopped roasted red pepper and sun dried tomatoes and bash together.
- Now add Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil and mix together.
- If it looks too oily (if oil pools in areas) then add a little extra nutritional yeast and mix. Add pinch of salt and pepper (flavour to taste).
- Next add the cashew milk to a pan and bring to a simmer.
- Add the nutritional yeast, peas, spinach and 4 tbsp of the red pesto.
- Thicken on a low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the part cooked pasta to a baking dish and cover with the sauce.
- Tear the ciabatta into chunks (roughly 10) and add into the pasta spread evenly throughout.
- Scatter with the vegan cheese and bake for 25 mins.
- Serve on it’s own or with a side salad and enjoy!