Impress your dinner party guests with these truffle infused polenta chips! Traditionally an essential food of working class families in Northern Italy, polenta has certainly come a long way! Whether your chips are served as a side dish or appetizer, this indulgent finger food is bound to go down a treat.
- 650ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 125g polenta
- 50g finely grated parmesan or other hard, strong cheese
- 2 heaped tsp Filippo Berio Truffle Pesto
- 3 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 50g polenta (to coat)
- 150ml Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil (to fry)
- Line a small baking dish with baking paper. Pour the stock into a medium pan, add the polenta, bring to a simmer and then whisk until smooth. Simmer, stirring all the time, until it thickens and starts to come away from the side of the pan.
- Stir in the cheese until melted, add the truffle pesto and the chives and pour into the baking dish, smoothing it into a flat layer – it should be about 1.5cm thick. Allow to cool completely, and then chill until solid, about ½ an hour.
- Cut the polenta into chips of your desired size. Put the remaining 50g of polenta into a shallow dish, then turn each chip in it to lightly coat them. Put the oven on low.
- Add the Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil to a frying pan, and put it over a medium-high heat. Shallow fry the chips in batches until golden brown on all sides, then drain on kitchen paper and keep warm in the oven. Serve hot.