Pasta with Sausage, Fennel & Ricotta
This stunning pasta recipe will not disappoint. It's worth hunting out authentic Sicilian sausages from a deli but if you can't find them, just use good quality pork sausages and add a teaspoon of fennel seeds.
- 4 tbsp Filippo Berio Olive Oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 small fennel bulbs, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 6 Italian fennel sausages
- 2 x 400g cans Cirio Chopped Tomatoes
- 75ml white wine
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 500g pasta bows
- 4 tbsp fresh Parmesan cheese
- 200g fresh ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion, fennel and garlic and cook for 10 minutes until soft. Remove and set aside.
- Heat the remaining olive oil and add the crumbled sausage meat. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up the meat.
- Add the wine and cook for 2 minutes until almost completely reduced. Return the onion and fennel mixture to the pan with the tomatoes and lemon zest and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water for 10 minutes, or according to packet instructions. Drain the pasta, put it back into the pan and stir in the sauce.
- Spoon into a warmed bowl and sprinkle over the Parmesan cheese. Serve with a dollop of ricotta cheese and drizzle over Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil.