Pasta with Aubergine and Tomatoes
This deliciously simple pasta dish makes for the perfect mid-week meal.
- 350g penne
- 6 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 aubergines, cut into chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 450g vine-ripened tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- Filippo Berio Basil Flavoured Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the chopped onion and cook for 3-4 minutes over a medium heat until it softens.
- Increase the heat a little, add the aubergine chunks and stir-fry for 10 minutes until the aubergine is golden and beginning to soften. Stir in the garlic.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in boiling salted water for 10 minutes, or until 'al dente'.
- Add the sundried tomato strips and the chopped tomatoes to the aubergine, along with 5 tbsp water. Simmer the sauce for 5-8 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and toss with the sauce.
- Drizzle with a generous helping of Filippo Berio Basil Flavoured Extra Virgin Olive Oil and sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top, if desired.
- Serve immediately.
Cooks tipsSuitable for vegetarians.
If fresh plum tomatoes are not available, use a 400g can.
If preferred, add red wine in place of the water for the sauce.