This Tuscan chopped salad recipe is perfect for al fresco dining during the summer months. What sets it aside from traditional salads is that one of the main ingredients is soaked stale bread.
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 1/2 a ciabatta loaf
- 6 tbsp Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1/2 cucumber, deseeded and peeled
- 2 tbsp shredded basil leaves
- 50g pitted black olives, halved
- Rub the halved garlic clove all over the inside of a large salad bowl. Break the bread into rough chunks, then sprinkle over the oil, vinegar and 2 tbsp water. Toss well and leave to soak for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare all the remaining ingredients. Stir the vegetables into the bread and toss well to mix then serve.
Cooks tipsSuitable for vegetarians.