Pan-fried Halloumi Cheese with Roasted Beetroot & Lemon Thyme Dressing
Upgrade the way you eat halloumi by pairing it with this delicious beetroot and lemon thyme dressing.
- 450g small-medium beetroots (of equal size)
- 200g Halloumi cheese
- 4 tbsp Filllipo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh flat leaved parsley, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Unwrap the halloumi cheese, pat dry, cut into 8 slices and then place in a shallow dish. Mix together the ingredients for the marinade, then pour over the cheese and set aside in a cool place.
- Heat the oven to 200°C /400°F/Gas Mark 6. Trim the beetroot, leaving about 2.5cm of the stalks attached, scrub under cold water and dry on kitchen paper. Wrap each beetroot in lightly oiled foil, place on a baking tray and then into the oven to roast for about an hour, or until tender. Test the beetroot with the point of a sharp knife.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes then unwrap. When cool enough to handle, remove the skins (you may want to wear plastic gloves for this, as beetroot stains the hands).
- Cut half a beetroot to yield 1 tablespoon of tiny diced vegetable and set aside. Thinly slice all of the remaining beetroot and arrange on four plates.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan and add a light coating of oil, carefully lift the halloumi from the marinade into the pan. Stir the chopped beetroot into the marinade.
- Cook the cheese for about 2 minutes on each side until golden brown, then arrange 2 slices on each portion. Spoon over the marinade and serve immediately.
Cooks tipsSuitable for vegetarians.