Kate’s Orzo Pasta Salad
Here is a lovely summer recipe by Kate Ailey for an easy pasta salad; perfect on its own for lunch or as a side to BBQ'S and other dishes.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Fillipo Berio Red Wine Vinegar
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 200g orzo
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- Handful of sundried tomatoes in oil, roughly chopped
- 100g Spinach
- 150g Cherry tomatoes, halved
- Black olives, sliced
- 1 ball of Mozzarella (keep the mozzarella water)
- Fresh basil / dried herbs
- Add some Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil to a pan and on a low heat cook your finely sliced shallots for a couple of minutes. Season with a little salt and some dried herbs if you have them.
- Add the mozzarella water and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Then add your orzo and 250ml of boiling water, allow to simmer for 5 minutes, occasionally stirring.
- After 5 minutes add another 150ml of boiling water and you can add frozen spinach at this point (make sure you have defrosted and squeezed out any excess water).
- After another 3 minutes, add a final 50-100ml of water to finish cooking your orzo so it’s al dente and has a creamy finish.
- Turn the heat off, add your olives and sundired tomatoes and leave to cool while you make your dressing.
- To make the dressing add 2tbsps of Filippo Berio Red Wine Vinegar, the juice of one small lemon and 6 tbsps of Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Mix together to create a dressing and drizzle over the orzo, stir to combine.
- Add your tomatoes.
- Once cooled, transfer to a serving bowl and place in the fridge for about an hour to allow all the flavours to come together.
- When you’re ready to serve, add your mozzarella, tear fresh basil over the top, and finish with a drizzle of Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil.