Orecchiette With Broccoli & Spicy Tomato
Orecchiette are little ‘ear’ shaped pasta shapes, traditionally served in Puglia with Cimi di Rapa - turnip top leaves. You can sometimes ﬁnd Cimi di Rapa in deli's, but if not, this recipe will taste just as good using Tenderstem® broccoli instead.
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Olive Oil
- 400g can Cirio Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 spicy sausages, skins removed and crumbled
- 225g broccoli, cut into florets
- 100ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 450g orecchiette pasta
- 4 tbsp Parmesan or Pecorino cheese, freshly grated
- Filippo Berio Gran Cru Dauno Extra Virgin to serve
- In a large deep-sided frying pan, heat the olive oil over a low heat. Stir in the onions and garlic and cook for 2 minutes until soft.
- Add the sausage and broccoli and cook for 5 minutes. Pour in the chopped tomatoes and stock.
- Simmer for 15 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil.
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions and drain, making sure to reserve a ladle of the water.
- Return the pasta to the pan and stir in the spicy tomato sauce. Add the reserved water to loosen the sauce and bring back up to the boil.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese and serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.