Orange Polenta Cake
Polenta is usually cooked and served with savoury dishes but it can be used to give a wonderful crunch to sweet recipes such as biscuits or – in this instance – a cake. Made from cornflour Polenta is a delicious Gluten Free alternative to wheat flour.
- 120ml Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil
- 250g caster sugar
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 150g fine polenta
- 150g ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Zest and juice of 2 oranges (reserving some juice for the glaze)
- 100ml orange juice
- 100g sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas mark 4.
- Combine the Olive Oil and sugar together.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix thoroughly.
- Once the mixture is combined, add all the dry ingredients and the zest and juice after you have measured off the amounts for the glaze and icing.
- Line the base and sides of a 27cm cake tin with baking parchment. Transfer the mixture to the tin, spread evenly and cook for about 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make the glaze, put the juice and sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil. Let it simmer for 5 minutes and then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Drizzle the orange glaze over the top. Serve with ice-cream, crème fraîche or mascarpone.