Olive Oil Scones with Balsamic Strawberry Jam
No formal afternoon tea would be complete without a scone served with jam and cream. These tasty scones are made with olive oil, so there is no butter to “rub in” meaning they are even easier prepare. And for a special Italian twist the jam is made with a splash of balsamic vinegar. Delicious!
For the jam
- 400g strawberries, halved or quartered if large
- 75g granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp Filippo Berio Balsamic Vinegar
- Clotted cream or whipped double cream
For the scones
- 450g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 50g caster sugar
- 100ml Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil
- 2 medium eggs
- 125ml milk, plus extra for brushing
- First make the jam, place the strawberries and sugar in a medium pan. Place over a medium heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar starts to dissolve and the strawberries release their juice. Boil for 5 minutes, then reduce the heat and stir in the balsamic vinegar. Simmer for a further 30 minutes until the mixture has reduced and thickened. Allow to cool for 15 minutes, then pour into a jar.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, Gas Mark 7. Lightly oil a large baking tray.
- Put the flour, baking powder and sugar in a large bowl. Stir well to combine.
- Crack the eggs into a measuring jug, then beat in the Filippo Berio Mild & Light Olive Oil and the milk. Stir the mixture into the flour and mix to a soft, sticky dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface, knead lightly and roll out to a rectangle about 2cm thick
- Cut into as many rounds as possible with a fluted 6cm cutter and place them on the prepared baking tray. Brush the tops of the scones with a little extra milk.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the scones are well risen and golden-brown. Transfer onto a wire rack to cool.
- 8 To serve, split the scones and serve with strawberry jam along with a good dollop of cream.